One of the most frustrating things about a mid-range or low-end Xiaomi phone is when it gets stuck and becomes unresponsive. This is usually due to excessive resource usage, caching or the RAM itself. However, there may be other factors affecting the device’s performance.
When a smartphone slows down or freezes altogether, the first thing to do is to reset it. This is a quick solution that often works, but it is not advisable to do it all the time. Therefore, it is best to find the source of the problem before implementing any solution.
Problems associated with apps
Practically, any app in Xiaomi system itself can slow down the device. Therefore, it is possible to enter the app settings to clear the data or reset to default values.
Here are the steps to follow
- Enter the device’s settings.
- Go to the “Applications” section.
- Click on the “Application Management” tab.
- Locate the app that is possibly generating the failure.
- Choose the option clear data.
- If necessary, select “force stop” to close the app.
You can also start the Xiaomi phone in “Safe Mode”. This disables any crashing applications. If when the phone boots in this mode it does not slow down, you can be sure that one of the apps is the problem.
If an application is still causing problems on the device, it is best to remove it and check if the problem has been solved. Once you find out which one is causing lags in MIUI, you can remove it as follows:
– Log in to Settings.
– Scroll down to the “Apps” section.
– Once inside, select the ‘Manage apps’ tab.
– Press ‘Uninstall’, an option located at the top right.
– Locate the app you want to remove, select it and press ‘Uninstall’.
Failures due to lack of power
Usually, the temporary accumulation of cache files causes delays in Xiaomi phones. Therefore, if you want to avoid lags and applications getting stuck, we tell you that this device, through the MIUI customization layer, allows you to perform several actions to speed up the device.
Xiaomi cell phones have security tools that protect them and allow you to perform a quick storage cleanup. To run them, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Xiaomi cell phone settings.
- Access the Applications section and select ‘System application settings’.
- Locate the Security application.
- Upon entering the menu, select the ‘Manage shortcuts’ option.
- Several applications will appear; activate “Clean”, “Deep Clean” and Cleaner to create a shortcut”.
- You can now use them directly from the desktop.
These three applications allow you to automatically remove some processes from the RAM, junk files and cache stored on the device. This process allows you to speed up the actions of the cell phone again.
Restricting automatic application startup
If you want your smartphone to start a little faster, prevent some apps such as Facebook, Instagram or Twitter from starting automatically when the phone boots up. To do this, you must do the following:
- Enter the cell phone’s Settings.
- Locate the Applications section.
- Access the “Permissions” section.
- Select the “automatic startup” option.
- Proceed to uncheck the applications that you consider.
Avoid MIUI advertising
MIUI interface often introduces advertisements and third-party apps for users to access. However, the ads may generate system slowdown. Therefore, it is recommended to avoid them by using a private DNS as follows:
- Go to the phone’s settings.
- Go to the “connection and sharing” section.
- Now locate the “Private DNS” section.
- When you enter you must enter the name of a private DNS provider host.
Among the most popular hosts are NextDNS.com or AdGuard. These are private, secure and reliable DNS providers. In addition to the fact that MIUI advertising will stop appearing, these services allow you to browse the Internet by filtering out any malicious files.
Another alternative to avoid failures generated by the MIUI customization layer of the Xiaomi cell phone is to keep the device updated. This option could bring back the smartphone’s performance. To do so, follow these steps:
Own system updates.
- Go into Settings.
- Press “About phone”.
- Select the MIUI option to check for updates.
- Run the available updates.
Xiaomi app updates
- Go to Settings.
- Press the “System app updater” option.
- Complete the update process.
In case none of the above solutions work, you will have to factory reset your smartphone. To do this, it is advisable to make a previous backup that will help you to recover your most important data.
On the other hand, there are also third-party applications that can help speed up your device. In our article 8 apps to improve your phone’s performance you can find some of them. And if you notice that your device no longer seems to have much life left in it, you could choose a new one and Movical will help you select the best one.